AirGun Law for Nashville(Davidson County),TN

This forum section is primarily to allow individuals to post questions that they have concerning topics on which TFA members may have expertise or experience.

AirGun Law for Nashville(Davidson County),TN

Postby cslinger » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:37 pm

What are the laws regarding airguns in Nashville, TN, specifically Davidson County general services district.

I live in a suburb, privacy fenced that backs up to common wooded ground. Between the pellet trap, privacy fence and wooded area my backstop is very secure. Hell the pellet trap alone would likely stop a .22 Long rifle but I digress.

What laws, if any, are there with regards to discharging an airgun?

This doesn't mean running around the neighborhood with Airsoft rifles scaring the bejezzus out of the neighbors, just air rifle/air pistol/bb gun plinking into a pellet trap.

Appreciate any input.

Thanks much,
Chris
cslinger

Re: AirGun Law for Nashville(Davidson County),TN

Postby johnharris » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:42 am

If anything, its in the Metro Code.

http://www.municode.com/resources/gatew ... 214&sid=42

11.12.080 Discharging weapons.
A. It is unlawful for any person to discharge or fire any firearm within the urban services district of the metropolitan government at any time, and within the general services district of the metropolitan government during the nighttime.
For the purposes of this section, the word "nighttime" means that period of time beginning thirty minutes after dusk and ending thirty minutes prior to sunrise.
B. It shall further be unlawful for any person to fire or discharge any air gun or air pistol, spring gun or spring pistol, or other device or firearm which is calculated or intended to propel or project a bullet, pellet, air or similar projectile, whether propelled by spring, compressed air or gases, explosive or other force-producing means, within the urban services district of the metropolitan government.
C. Notwithstanding any other provisions of this section, nothing in this section is intended to prohibit the discharge or firing of any firearms by anyone:
1. While in the lawful performance of duty as an officer of the law; or
2. Within a legally established shooting range or shooting gallery where precautions have been taken to insure the protection of human life and property; or
3. Lawfully engaged in hunting, as permitted by the state, upon any property located within the urban services district of the metropolitan government; or
4. Legally defending person or property.
(Ord. 99-1775 § 1, 1999; Amdt. 1 to Ord. 96-295, 6/4/96; Ord. 96-295 § 1, 1996)

Independent of that, it happens all the time....
John Harris

Executive Director
Tennessee Firearms Association, Inc.
Attorney
johnharris
Site Admin

Re: AirGun Law for Nashville(Davidson County),TN

Postby cslinger » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:36 pm

So if I read this correctly in the General Services district there are no laws/codes barring the discharge of airguns during daylight hours.

Heck it basically reads that there are no laws against the discharge of firearms. (Not advocating this nor would I even think about this in my case since that would most certainly be public endangerment)

Thanks appreciate the code.

Chris
cslinger

Return to Ask TFA