Whats your favorite pocket gun???

A place to discuss what you carry, what you load it with and how you lug it around all day!

Moderators: David Lewis, tjbert47

Whats your favorite pocket gun???

Postby Billjr » Wed Jul 16, 2003 4:17 pm

Mine is my Kahr PM9. When most people think of pocket guns they think of .380's or smaller cartridges. I really like how thin the Kahr is. It fits my hand perfect and ins't noticeable when i carry it in the front pocket of my khakis.
What do yall carry for a pocket gun?
Billjr

Postby f5fstop » Wed Jul 16, 2003 10:41 pm

Nothing yet, but looking at a Taurus PT111 or a Felk TF919.
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..." (Richard Henry Lee)
"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." (Alexander Hamilton)
f5fstop

Postby 45ACP » Thu Jul 17, 2003 12:34 pm

Smith & Wesson Model 640 38 Special.
45ACP

Postby johnharris » Thu Jul 17, 2003 3:43 pm

Pocket - Colt Pony Pocketlite .380
John Harris

Executive Director
Tennessee Firearms Association, Inc.
Attorney
johnharris
Site Admin

Favorit Pocket Gun

Postby David Lewis » Fri Jul 18, 2003 4:41 pm

It once was a Seecamp .25, but it was heavy for its size, & a .25.

Now, it alternates between a S&W 442 Centennial .38 Spl, and a KelTec P32 in .32 ACP. I like them both, and both have their uses.

BTW, they're always carried in an appropriate pocket holster, with nothing else in the pocket.

David
David Lewis

Postby Anonymous » Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:01 pm

Colt Defender or Taurus .357
Anonymous

Postby MitchSchaft » Tue Jul 22, 2003 6:52 pm

Lol, I use my Colt Defender as my main carry gun. Maybe I'm just really small, but I don't consider that a pocket gun. I plan on getting one of those small Keltecs as a pocket/backup gun.
MitchSchaft

Postby BulletBillSR » Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:05 pm

MitchSchaft wrote: I plan on getting one of those small Keltecs as a pocket/backup gun.

I've been carrying a Kel-Tec in .40S&W which is no longer made but the 9mm should be just about as good with +P+ loads. I bought the belt clip and it works great under a shirt or, if the shirt must be worn in, it also fits nicely in a pocket holster. I liked it well enough to buy a second KT40.

These little guns weigh about 11 ounces empty and around 21 ounces loaded with 10 rounds, so the recoil can get pretty severe but I've found I will carry this gun whereas my previous carry gun, a Colt 1991A1 "compact," really got heavy. It's meant to be a defense gun not a target gun and Kel-Tec was advertising their night sites for the Kel-Tecs for $80 with a "lifetime" guarantee. You only need to send them the slide. Haven't done it yet but plan to.

The .32 is a lot smaller and I feel is too small to effectively stop someone who needs to be - however, even a .32 beats no gun at all :) The KT40 is a handfull and I haven't found
many that wanted to put more than 5 rounds through it. It will bruise your hand after a while. The 9mm shouldn't be quite a bad.
BulletBillSR

Postby MitchSchaft » Wed Jul 23, 2003 2:45 am

Yeah, I plan on getting the p-32. Only as a backup or to carry where my Defender may be too big (work, or various family gatherings?, etc).
I've fired one before and think it's something I should take advantage of. It's better than a pocket knife or nothing at all!
MitchSchaft

Postby Anonymous » Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:43 am

Shepherd wrote:Colt Defender or Taurus .357

Ugh :oops: Obviously I misread the question. Either of the above are my carry guns.
Anonymous

GUN TO CARRY THINK SIMPLE

Postby bufordtune » Fri Jul 25, 2003 7:49 am

Why not keep it simple, look at the simple reliable 38 revolver. I suggest the S&W or Ruger only. We have had trouble with the Taurus revolvers and charter after a few rounds hard to pull trigger. The Taurus PT models have a bad thing of the front sights falling off after shooting and the gunn is shaken up a little. They are also pickie in the kind of rounds they like to shoot.
I have carried several different guns over the 27 years as a police officer an the 15 years I have been instructing and I come back to the simple thing of the revolver every time, I have been carrying the Ruger SP101 with custom grips and the Ashley Big Dot front sight for over two yeara now and I am evry pleased. You also need to dress defensively as well, you cannot were the tight pants when carrying a gun. :D
Buford Tune

APPS
The Academy of Personal Protection & Security
(615) 360-6002
www.appstraining.com
bufordtune

Postby 45ACP » Wed Aug 20, 2003 10:12 am

bufordtune:
I agre with your comments on revolvers and clothing choices. My experience as a police officer, firearms instructor, and handgun permit holder have led me to choose the S&W 640 38 Special for my "always gun", but I could happily carry the Ruged SP101. Both are well suited to the task.
45ACP

Postby Fulldraw » Mon Sep 01, 2003 10:25 am

A S&W 640 with custom grips in a Galco front pocket holster loaded with Hydra-Shoks makes for a neat package. Then there is the Beretta Alleycat for an even smaller option!:D
Last edited by Fulldraw on Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fulldraw

Postby marauder » Mon Sep 01, 2003 12:37 pm

glock 30. :) you just have to have big pockets.
proud law abiding, gun owning citizen :)
marauder

Postby Rogomay » Sun Dec 14, 2003 8:30 pm

Kahr P40. My usual carry is a Sig P239 in 357 Sig.
Rogomay

Is that a Taurus in your pocket, or are you happy.........

Postby Ed__357 » Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:24 pm

Taurus Millinnium in 9mm. It sports a 3 1/2 inch barrel, 10 shot magazine, will handle loads up to 124 gr. @1250 fps, and is accurate once you get used to shooting it. I say, "Once you get used to it..." because, it is DA only and has quite a tough trigger pull. But with a little practice I have really come to like this little powerhouse. I like to carry my big guns, but when life demands putting one in my pocket, I grab the Taurus 9mm.
It's best to let the world "Think" you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
Ed__357

Pocket gun

Postby BulletBillSR » Wed Dec 17, 2003 2:10 am

I like the Kel-Tec in 40S&W although I think the 9mm with +P+ loads would do OK too. The 40S&W in an 11 ounce gun (@20 ounces loaded with 10 rounds) with a short barrel has quite a bit or recoil; :shock: Makes your hand sore after 25 rounds or so, but hopefully, if I'm unfortunate enough to have to use it, it won't take me more than the 10 rounds in the gun :D

Trigger pull is a little long but about what you would expect from a DAO. With a belt clip it makes a good carry gun as long as you don't plan on doing cartwheels :lol: In hot weather I use a small pocket holster. Not a fast draw but I hope to steer clear of situations that would call for a "lighting hand." :P Hopefully, the Good Lord willing, and the creeks don't rise, I'll make to 80 and won't have to use it. 8)

Unfortunately, Kel-Tec doesn't manufacture the little gun in 40S&W anymore :cry: but as noted, the 9mm will most likely do the job with the better loads and you can buy the Winchester "value pak" of 100 9mm for about $10 at WalMart while the 40S&W is about $5 more.

Bill
BulletBillSR

Re: Carry Gun

Postby tkdmavrick » Fri Dec 19, 2003 12:17 pm

I personally carry the Kel-tec P11 9mm as my carry gun. I have had the gun for a number of years now, and I have it fully "accessorized", with an Uncle Mike's grip, the magazine extension, trigger shoe, IWB clip, and trigger stop. It is DAO, and like Bill's P40, it also has a long trigger pull. Some people may not like the gun because it does not have a "safety" of any sort, except the long trigger pull and DAO. But, for me, I don't have little kids around, and I always know where the gun is. PLUS, who knows how I would react if I really had to pull the gun and use it. If I were really in a life or death situation, in my mind, the last thing I would want to do is to die because I forgot to take the safety off.

The gun really is a handfull to fire and 100 rounds will certainly put a hurt on your wrist, but the gun is light, so easy to carry. It also is 10+1 and I carry it that way with Hydra-shoks in it (plus as a security blanket, I carry a spare mag). I have put about 2000 rounds through the gun and it has NEVER malfunctioned, as far as a failure to feed or fire is concerned. It certainly is closer to a sow's ear than a silk purse to look at, but that's not why I have it. I think I bought it for about $215 at the time.

I recently went to a local range and fired +P+ submachine ammo (124 grain nato) through it and it WAS a real handfun, more than normal. In fact, during the same session the slide stop broke (specifically holding open the slide after the last round). I don't know if that was because of the "hot" ammo or not, but the gun continued to function. I went to Kel-tec's web page and tried to see if I could order a new one online. Their web page doesn't have online purchasing, so I left an e-mail asking how I could purchase one. I got an e-mail back the next day telling me that they had one in the mail for me. Two days later I was surprised to find a package in the mail from them, with TWO slide stops in it, all free of charge. I was impressed.
David Morrow
Knoxville

Proud Member:
TFA
Life Member NRA
SAF
VRWC (Vast Right Wing Conspiracy)
tkdmavrick

Kel-Tec egroup

Postby BulletBillSR » Sat Dec 20, 2003 12:21 am

David,

For you and others who might be interested, there is a Kel-Tec Yahoo eGroup similar to the TFA Yahoo eGroup at:
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ktog/>

This group is pretty active and probably post 900 to 1,000 messages a month but it does have some interesting stuff. I picked up the idea of using a pencil eraser as a trigger stop. I did have to use Brownells "Accra-glas" to keep it attached (it popped right off with regular epoxy :shock: )

I would guess the 9mm would also be a fair handful with +P+ loads as it, like the old P40 is an 11 ounce gun shooting high velocity ammo. Glad to find the Kel-Tec people are still doing a good service job. I would like to add the tritium night sights they offer for about $80 with a lifetime warranty. Like you, I haven't had any problems with my two P40's 8) I haven't had much luck in keeping the trigger shoe in place. The recoil pops it off after a few rounds. May be peculiar to 40S&W rounds.

I doubt a child could pull the trigger on a Kel-Tec because it is long and pretty heavy but then I wouldn't leave it around for a trial test . :cry: That would be a really dumb stunt. With the long trigger pull I doubt anyone is going to fire it "accidentally." I've always carried my 1911's in condition one, cocked and locked. As Dr. Bryant pointed out, it doesn't take one with evil intent long to cover 15-20 feet and you need to able to use the gun when necessary, not ask for a "time out" to load it :oops: But that's another subject area.

Have a great Christmas and a Happy New Year

Bill
BulletBillSR

favorite carry guns

Postby john wall » Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:01 pm

as an accomplished party pooper, EVERY auto on this particular forum has given troubles on our range. the kel-tecs and taurus in particular are a problem. what is your life worth? for my life, i carry a ruger sp-101 or s&w j-frame dao, loaded with remington golden sabre, the most tested and most recommended ammo by the pros in the business. also i am a training assistant at APPS, a rather high volume handgun training facility that is highly recommended by people in the business.
john wall

Next

Return to Self Defense - Guns & Gear