Nato M1 Garand

A place to discuss what you carry, what you load it with and how you lug it around all day!

Moderators: David Lewis, tjbert47

Nato M1 Garand

Postby johnharris » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:53 am

I have been thinking about ordering a CMP Garand recently and that caused me to go pull the one I already have out and take a closer look. I acquired it as part of a 2 gun purchase where I was mainly interested in the pistol. As of this date, I have not shot the Garand.

Looking at it, it has a Springfield receiver and a Winchester barrel (I think it may be the script barrel). The barrel is stamped near the bayonet lug with "Excel, Gardner Ma."

I have not broken it down fully to see what the other components are. However, it appears to have the NATO sleeve in the chamber. It will not chamber an empty 30-06 cartridge. However, it does not have the magazine block that is ordinarily used, from what I read, with the .308 conversion.

I probably need to break it down the rest of the way, figure out how it has been put together and perhaps order a few parts. Probably would not be a bad idea to check the erosion on it at the same time.

What are good sources for parts on these things?
johnharris
Site Admin

Postby bobsguns » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:32 pm

I know the following folks offers Garand parts: Numerich, Mil-Tech (sp?) & Brownells (limited). Champions Choice in LaVergne also sells replacement barrels. I bought a Douglas NM barrel from them for my Garand several years ago.

Good luck!
bobsguns

Return to Self Defense - Guns & Gear