What Do You Use for a Home Defense Firearm?

A place to discuss what you carry, what you load it with and how you lug it around all day!

Moderators: David Lewis, tjbert47

What Do You Use for a Home Defense Firearm?

Postby Phantom6 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:46 am

Dang, lots of old stuff on here so for discussion's sake I'll throw something out there and let's see if someone takes a shot at it.

I know that many folks rely on their pistols and as an NRA Instructor and Training Counselor I know that the NRA's Personal Protection Inside the Home course is built around the use of a pistol but I would submit that for home defense purposes an 18" pump action smooth bore shotgun loaded with either single or double ought Buck is the optimum CQB firearm and load. In smaller homes where you would be shooting at distances of 9-12 ft. across a bedroom or down a hallway, you are producing a pattern of shot roughly the size of a good sized grapefruit and in larger homes where you may be shooting across a room or down a hall that is 18 to 24 ft. you will be producing a spread roughly the size of a soccer ball, all of which fits neatly within the size of a human torso.

Personally I prefer an 18" combat ported Remington 870 with a 2 shot mag extension, aluminum six spot side saddle, Mesa Tactical M-4 stock and pistol grip, Ergo three rail forend with a Surefire G2 light. The combat porting of the barrel greatly reduces recoil and completely eliminates muzzle flip so that sight picture is not disturbed and my follow on shots are far more rapid and on target.
It takes 43 muscles to smile and 17 to frown; but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze. Be safe, be confident, be trained! http://firearmsclasses.com
Phantom6

Re: What Do You Use for a Home Defense Firearm?

Postby C. Richard Archie » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:39 am

My "Did you hear that?" bump in the night weapon of choice is my A5 Browning, with the cylinder bore, rifle sighted barrel. It holds 5 rounds of Dead Coyote Heavy Shot. I have had this weapon since the age of 12, it is like an Old Friend.

Of course, I do have my .45 holstered near at hand for close, abrupt encounters, but if I have time to get up, and feel need to go investigate, the shotgun makes the trip with me.
"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." Samuel Adams

TFA/NRA Life Member
Chapter Leader, West TN Regional Chapter
C. Richard Archie

Postby KevinMcCauley » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:54 am

Mossberg 500.
"If we are going to have people in places where there are guns you know they're going to make poor decisions."
- Nashville Police Chief Ronal Serpas

"I don’t want people in my bar not drinking."- Adam Dread
KevinMcCauley

Postby Lemonhead » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:39 am

16" Bushmaster AR-15 or whichever handgun is closest.
Lemonhead

Postby photoguy67 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:59 am

Winchester 12 gauge pump with extended mag, 308 semi auto with 20 round mag, and and one of 3 .45 autos.
photoguy67

Postby Tim Nunan » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:16 pm

Depends which room I'm in when I need to defend the house. :-)

Pump 12 gauge, Taurus judge, one of several pistols.
Tim Nunan
TFA/NRA Lifemember
GOA member

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow
Tim Nunan

Return to Self Defense - Guns & Gear