holster advice

A place to discuss what you carry, what you load it with and how you lug it around all day!

Moderators: David Lewis, tjbert47

holster advice

Postby lilredhunter » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:42 pm

OK folks here is something we don't discuss everyday. I need a holster to carry my K frame 357 , 4" barrel . Now here is my situation. I have a back problem and would not be able to reach an ankle holster unless I was on the ground. So ankle is out of the equation. My next problem, I am not a small man. I am 260 and have man boobs. So shoulder rig will not work well. I normally don't wear a belt because of the comfort of sweats or I am in shorts. The rig I use now is a clip on that is just slipped over the shorts or sweats. But after a situation yesterday I no longer desire to do it that way. Has anyone had any experiences good or bad with something like the elastic belts that would fit under sweats and has the holster built in? Anyone have other suggestions? To keep everyone from having to ask what brought this about I will tell you now. Now I normally carry everywhere I can and don't go to or at least try not to go places I am disarmed. I went to the ATM yesterday and had a guy standing behind me. Way to close for my comfort. Well I had a long shirt that covered the gun. But as this guy kept easing closer and closer to me I tucked my elbow over my weapon to make it harder for him to snatch it. I didn't think it was visible. But it must have been. He prosed the question what do you carry? I laughed a little and said a noisy cricket. He kept asking me questions about my weapon. Jason a friend of mine was with me and saw the guy keep getting closer to me. So he got out and came around to my side of the vehicle and stood there. Jason carries as well. He just happen to be open carrying. When the guy saw Jason he decided to leave. I have no idea what he had in mind. So this kind of spooked me and made me want a way to keep my weapon secured better and still accessible.
Chris
A VERY Proud Member of TFA & NRA
lilredhunter

Re: holster advice

Postby Lemonhead » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:33 pm

I would advise you to dress around the gun a bit more. I always wear a belt. Right now I am wearing a Kramer Leather double thick horsehide belt. It's not always as adjustable as I'd like it to be, but it looks nice when I'm dressed for work. I can carry before and after work, not during, but I digress. I have been looking at getting a Wilderness Tactical Instructor's belt to solve the adjustability problem. I've heard good things about them from anyone that owns one. With that and some shorts with belt loops you'll be good to go. I'm 6' 250lbs and I usually wear an inside the waistband holster with either a Glock 23 or 1911-A1. Both of those holsters are Kramer holsters. They are built very well and are molded specifically for each weapon.
Lemonhead

Postby lilredhunter » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:23 pm

I had came to that conclusion. Dress around the gun. I had never really thought much about it since we can choose whichever way we want to carry. But this situation made me rethink that. I have always carried concealed for the most part to keep my element of surprise. But when something happens like this and you lose that you really start to looking hard for a way to keep this from happening. I don't know what he had in mind if anything at all. It just kinda made me rethink the whole thing. I appreciate your suggestions and I am looking into them now.
Chris
lilredhunter

Postby Lemonhead » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:31 pm

Kramer holsters are fairly expensive. I don't mind that, I'm not opposed to paying for quality. Comp-tac MTAC or Crossbreed Supertuck holsters are options that other people seem to like, but I don't have any experience with them.
Lemonhead

Postby David Lewis » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:49 pm

Chris--

Here's a link to a thread discussing holsters: http://www.tfaonline.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2276&p=8538#p8538

As you'll find out pretty quickly, I prefer Kramer holsters http://www.kramerleather.com/. My best, and favorite, gunbelt is a double-thickness horsehide belt from Kramer. I do have a Wilderness Tactical Instructor's belt. I like it too, but it's not as versatile as the Kramer belt. It only works for casual dress, whereas the Kramer can dress up or down.

Perhaps we can discuss it in person in Spring Hill at the BOMA meeting.

Regards,

David
David Lewis

Postby lilredhunter » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:09 pm

Maybe wee can do that. I will check the thread you posted. I will see you tomorrow night.
Chris
lilredhunter

Return to Self Defense - Guns & Gear