Bersa Thunder .380

A place to discuss what you carry, what you load it with and how you lug it around all day!

Moderators: David Lewis, tjbert47

Bersa Thunder .380

Postby xlr8 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:33 am

Anyone either carry or use a Bersa Thunder .380? I've seen some good reports on these guns. My dealer says he's sold quite a few of these and customers have had few (if any) problems and that they like them. Any user comments would be appreciated!

Thanks
Matthew 28:18-20; Romans 8:28
NRA Life Member since the Clinton-Reno Administration
TFA Life Member
GOA Life Member
xlr8

Re: Bersa Thunder .380

Postby macville » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:38 pm

xlr8 wrote:Anyone either carry or use a Bersa Thunder .380? I've seen some good reports on these guns. My dealer says he's sold quite a few of these and customers have had few (if any) problems and that they like them. Any user comments would be appreciated!

I got my wife a Bersa Plus (same gun but double stack instead of single stack) last year and she really likes it as her carry gun. It's very safe as when you put the safety on it, it decocks the hammer and also slides a thick piece of metal between the hammer and the firing pin. The only problem we have with it is....getting .380 ammo! Since she got it, we've been able to get one box of ammo for it. So she's put about 30 rounds through it and that's it. Starting to think that getting her a different gun in 9mm would be better since ammo is available, much cheaper ($10/50 rounds wal-mart), and packs a little more punch than .380. However, finding a small enough 9mm that will fit her hands, hold a decent amount of rounds, and is safe/reliable is much harder to do.
macville

Postby TacticaLogic » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:23 pm

A couple of points...

XLR8: I've had a Bersa Model 383 in .380ACP for 20 years +/-... This pistol is the same as the "Thunder" - just wasn't named as such, though today's version has a "key lock" on the left hand side above the trigger. Mine has never suffered a stovepipe jam or FTF, and has served as a carry gun when something larger wouldn't work. It will digest anything I feed it. I have used it to shoot the heads off of alligator snappers (just heard recently that they're indangered?) in the ponds from 25+ yards, so accuracy has not been an issue. The only thing I didn't like about it (and the same holds true for the all-metal S&W semi-auto pistols) is the magazine safety... Had to have the magazine inserted to make it fire. Well... I've never been afraid of disassembling any firearm, so I took it apart and removed the magazine safety (the same as I have done on my S&W pistols!) For all intents and purposes, it is just a carbon steel Walther PPK in .380ACP. Yes it looks a little different externally, but mechanically is pretty much the same. I have always found it to be a good value if you are looking in the .380ACP line. My carry load/anti-turtle load for the .380ACP is the Federal Hydroshok 85g round... Good energy for that round, and good expansion of the bullet.

This is the Model 383, though mine is in satin nickel:

This is today's Thunder .380:

macville: Check out the Kahr line of 9mm's... The K9 model is basically like an all-metal Glock. 7+1 rounds, rated at +P. This is what replaced the above mentioned .380 that my wife was carrying. The grip size was exactly the same as the Bersa and, while the trigger is considered "long" by some, it doesn't stack up on you... Just a long pull. We get 1 hole groups with our K9 at 15 yards - so 25-30 yards shouldn't be a problem. You can find out more at: http://www.kahr.com/PA-1_9mm.html

The K9:

Hope this helps!

Mike
For training beyond the carry permit:

TacticaLogic, Inc.
931-446-2637

"The shield is more important than the sword, and skill is more important than either..."
TacticaLogic

Postby macville » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:49 pm

TacticaLogic wrote:macville: Check out the Kahr line of 9mm's... The K9 model is basically like an all-metal Glock. 7+1 rounds, rated at +P. This is what replaced the above mentioned .380 that my wife was carrying. The grip size was exactly the same as the Bersa and, while the trigger is considered "long" by some, it doesn't stack up on you... Just a long pull. We get 1 hole groups with our K9 at 15 yards - so 25-30 yards shouldn't be a problem. You can find out more at: http://www.kahr.com/PA-1_9mm.html

The problem with the Kahr, like the Kel-Tec and others, is that you have to carry either as double action with no safety, or cocked with a safety. Both me an my wife like that our carry guns can be carried with a safety on and decocked. First trigger pull is DA and then goes into SA. Yeah, if I follow proper handling, there shouldn't be a problem. But with a safety and DA, you really have to screw the pooch to have your gun go off.
macville

Postby xlr8 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:25 pm

Yes, .380 ammo availability seems to be the main drawback for this (or any other) .380 nowadays. Hopefully my brother-in-law will be getting a set of .380 reloading dies soon 8). I have also read on other sites about the magazine disconnect safety being problematic occasionally, but figured that I would have that thing removed ASAP upon purchasing one.

Regarding .380 ammo, I'm not familiar with a number of the factory loads available in this caliber. However, I have seem on some sites that folks are having good luck with Corbon's 80 grain DPX loads. It has a solid copper bullet with some fairly good (for a .380) penetration numbers. Anyone out there using Corbon .380 DPX with any reports?

Thanks!
Matthew 28:18-20; Romans 8:28
NRA Life Member since the Clinton-Reno Administration
TFA Life Member
GOA Life Member
xlr8

Return to Self Defense - Guns & Gear