If you look at all the BS out there on Vest you should always look at the NIJA standards and make sure they are meeting the requirements. NEVER EVER buy or use a vest that is USED or formally owned by LE or Security or anyone.
1. You do not know the care given to it.
2. Always look for the expiration of the vest itself.
3. The level of vest is something to think about and unlike what some say and think MOST POLICE officers DO NOT leave their vest in the trunk; if they have it they wear it. For some reason people who have NEVER been law enforcement know more to try to make people think they know more then those who have been there.
4. If you want a used vest I want to give you something to think about, would you wear the underwear of another person! Did not think so, but if you wear a used vest then that is what you are doing. The vest itself cannot be cleaned properly and moisture will break down most vests, the cover is the only thing that can be cleaned and we suggest that a person buy extra covers so while one is being cleaned you can still wear the other cover and your vest.
5. A level 2 is a good level to have and most will weigh around 5 to 7 pounds (unless you are a large person)! The problem with a vest is that like wearing a new pair of shoes you have to get use to it or you will not wear it at all. When you get a vest wear it as though your life depends on it.
6. The vest company we STRONGLY suggest is Force One they are the only company that has never had a recall on the vest or materials, unlike the LOW BID process of the vest that LE or Government officer are forced to wear. NEVER GO AFTER LOW BID EQUIPMENT ESPECIALLY WHEN YOUR LIFE IS ON THE LINE.
7. I know of NO criminal law or civil process that makes the security company have to buy your equipment for you and OSHA does NOT cover this from he words of an OSHA inspector!
8. Of course the burden will fall back on you that it you take a job that you know is dangerous and you accept the responsibility then the burden is on YOU not the company!! But if you bring it to the companiesâ€™ attention and they reject the request then the question will be, "If you knew the job was dangerous, why did you take it or why did you not buy your own safety equipment"!
9. Always buy a custom fitting vest but be very careful of uniform shops that will sell you a so called custom vest, they will take your size that that is what you are stuck with.
10. But a wrap around vest one that covers your sides, the vest should have a gap above your belt of about 2 inches so that you will have room to sit down and the vest will not bind and push up to your neck and make it very uncomfortable.
11. One of the previous writers said the correct thing about wearing a vest and giving youâ€™re the correct law, you and many other people in the average everyday run of a days work wear a vest and it is not illegal, but be prepared for some LE to challenge you on this because some of the Leoâ€™s think they are the only ones who should carry a firearm and wear protective clothing.
If you have any questions as to where to buy or type please do not hesitate to call us at 615 3606002.
615 360 6002www.appstraining.com