Body Armor

A place to discuss what you carry, what you load it with and how you lug it around all day!

Moderators: David Lewis, tjbert47

Body Armor

Postby Freedom2U » Wed Jun 18, 2003 1:12 pm

Can anyone tell me about the laws in TN concerning possessing, carrying, or wearing body armor ? I'm using a WebTV so I can not access the information that is available in the PDF format. Thanks to anyone that can fill me in on this matter !
Freedom2U

Postby MitchSchaft » Wed Jun 18, 2003 2:06 pm

In TN, you can legally wear body armor as long as it is not in commission of a crime.

http://198.187.128.12/tennessee/lpext.d ... in.htm&2.0

39-17-1323. Commission of certain offenses while wearing a body vest.

(a) A person commits an offense who knowingly wears a body vest, when acting either alone or with one (1) or more other persons, while committing:

(1) Any felony whose statutory elements involve the use or threat of violence to a human being;

(2) Any burglary, car-jacking, theft of a motor vehicle, or arson; or

(3) Any felony offense involving a controlled substance.

(b) For purposes of this section, a "body vest" means a bullet-resistant soft armor providing, as a minimum standard, the level of protection known as threat level I which shall mean at least seven (7) layers of bullet-resistant material providing protection from three (3) shots of one hundred fifty-eight-grain lead ammunition fired from a .38 caliber handgun at a velocity of eight hundred fifty feet (850') per second.

(c) The unlawful wearing of a body vest is a Class E felony.

(d) Nothing in this section shall prohibit the possession of a body vest for lawful purposes.

(e) Any sentence imposed under this section shall run consecutively to any other sentence imposed for the conviction of the underlying offense.

[Acts 1997, ch. 321, § 1.]

MitchSchaft

body armor

Postby john wall » Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:38 pm

if you don't do night deliveries in the projects, you will not have your vest with you when you need it. i am as paranoid as any, and had a vest. they are like wearing a parka in the summer. one that will stop a 9m/m fmj is heavy, bulky and hot. even most cops keep them in the trunk of their car when they are supposed to have them on. most vests will not stop an experienced knife attacker! common sense and training are much more valuable. you will always have them with you. knife resistant "t-shirts" are available. they will not stop a round over 22 or 25, but they will defeat a knife, and you will more likely have the shirt on when you need it. if you are where you should not be, have an associate with you, or if it is job related, maybe you should get another job. if the job puts you in harm's way, your employer is required by federal law to provide you with a safe work environment. talk to brother harris about that.
john wall

Postby MitchSchaft » Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:51 am

We should all lock ourselves in our caves and never deal with the world around us! I hear exactly what you're saying! :lol:
MitchSchaft

Re: Body Armor

Postby Menzoberranzan » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:17 pm

I'm a security officer by profession, can anyone recommend brands and companies to do business with?
When you need the police in 30 seconds, they are only 3 minutes away.
Menzoberranzan

Postby johnharris » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:51 am

I have had some limited experience with body armor issues but not with brands or selections. I know Buford at APPS in Nashville deals with the question you ask quite a bit. I don't think that he actively posts on this site.
John Harris

Executive Director
Tennessee Firearms Association, Inc.
Attorney
johnharris
Site Admin

Postby buford tune » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:40 am

If you look at all the BS out there on Vest you should always look at the NIJA standards and make sure they are meeting the requirements. NEVER EVER buy or use a vest that is USED or formally owned by LE or Security or anyone.
1. You do not know the care given to it.
2. Always look for the expiration of the vest itself.
3. The level of vest is something to think about and unlike what some say and think MOST POLICE officers DO NOT leave their vest in the trunk; if they have it they wear it. For some reason people who have NEVER been law enforcement know more to try to make people think they know more then those who have been there.
4. If you want a used vest I want to give you something to think about, would you wear the underwear of another person! Did not think so, but if you wear a used vest then that is what you are doing. The vest itself cannot be cleaned properly and moisture will break down most vests, the cover is the only thing that can be cleaned and we suggest that a person buy extra covers so while one is being cleaned you can still wear the other cover and your vest.
5. A level 2 is a good level to have and most will weigh around 5 to 7 pounds (unless you are a large person)! The problem with a vest is that like wearing a new pair of shoes you have to get use to it or you will not wear it at all. When you get a vest wear it as though your life depends on it.
6. The vest company we STRONGLY suggest is Force One they are the only company that has never had a recall on the vest or materials, unlike the LOW BID process of the vest that LE or Government officer are forced to wear. NEVER GO AFTER LOW BID EQUIPMENT ESPECIALLY WHEN YOUR LIFE IS ON THE LINE.
7. I know of NO criminal law or civil process that makes the security company have to buy your equipment for you and OSHA does NOT cover this from he words of an OSHA inspector!
8. Of course the burden will fall back on you that it you take a job that you know is dangerous and you accept the responsibility then the burden is on YOU not the company!! But if you bring it to the companies’ attention and they reject the request then the question will be, "If you knew the job was dangerous, why did you take it or why did you not buy your own safety equipment"!
9. Always buy a custom fitting vest but be very careful of uniform shops that will sell you a so called custom vest, they will take your size that that is what you are stuck with.
10. But a wrap around vest one that covers your sides, the vest should have a gap above your belt of about 2 inches so that you will have room to sit down and the vest will not bind and push up to your neck and make it very uncomfortable.
11. One of the previous writers said the correct thing about wearing a vest and giving you’re the correct law, you and many other people in the average everyday run of a days work wear a vest and it is not illegal, but be prepared for some LE to challenge you on this because some of the Leo’s think they are the only ones who should carry a firearm and wear protective clothing.
If you have any questions as to where to buy or type please do not hesitate to call us at 615 3606002.
Buford Tune
615 360 6002
www.appstraining.com
buford tune

Postby David Lewis » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:06 pm

Thanks, Buford.

And, welcome back!

David
David Lewis

Postby buford tune » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:34 pm