Recommendations on 2nd gun?

A place to discuss what you carry, what you load it with and how you lug it around all day!

Moderators: David Lewis, tjbert47

Recommendations on 2nd gun?

Postby JasonC » Sat Jan 01, 2005 6:59 pm

My main (and right now, only) gun is a Kimber Tactical Pro II .45 carried strong side hip in a Galco Concealable holster. I used to carry a full size 5" 1911 so the 4" Kimber with a lighter frame is much easier to carry for me now. This is easy to conceal when it's winter time and you have a jacket or long shirt to cover it. I am looking for a 2nd gun to carry in the summertime when you don't have as many options for concealment garments. I want something very small, very lightweight, and still at least .38, 9mm, (or .380 if I must).

I am currently considering an airweight S&W .38 2" barrel 5 shot revolver, and the KelTec autos in 9mm and .380. I am leaning towards the revolver for simplicity and reliability sake, plus the fact that it would be simple for the wife to operate if she needed to. She has shot my Kimber and is not afraid of it, but I have always been there with her while she has fired it and coached her thru it. I want something she would be more confident in her ability to operate it.

Anyone have any suggestions/opinions/recommendations for a lightweight, small, summer carry gun? At this point I am not set on anything, so all suggestions are welcome.
JasonC

Small guns

Postby Ed__357 » Sun Jan 02, 2005 9:29 am

You might scroll down the page a bit more and notice a thread entitled: "What's your favorite pocket gun?"
In that thread there are several users listing their favorite "Alternative Carry Style" guns.
I have a Taurus Millennium in 9mm that holds 11 rounds, yet still fits in my pocket and is fairly accurate at self defense type distances. With a consider amount of practice, I can hit fairly well at 50 or 60 feet, and at 25 feet or less I'm pretty much deadly.
I'm not a big fan of Taurus. For the most part I think they produce cheap crappy guns. However, they do offer a lifetime warranty, and not many gun manufacturers do that. I bought the gun for 2 reasons mainly:
1. the lifetime warranty.
2. A full capacity 11 rounds of 9mm I can hide almost anywhere including my pocket.
Lots of times in the summer, I may be running around in short pants and sandals. I may not have on a shirt. This gun is the only gun I own right now that I can carry concealed like that.
However, my preffered carry pieces are my Sig 239, H & K USP C, and My Beretta 92FS. The Sig and Beretta are in 9mm, and the H & K is a .40 cal.
It's best to let the world "Think" you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
Ed__357

Carry gun

Postby jeffhardee » Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:02 pm

I have a scandium S&W 340PD (I use .38's in it.) Extremely light and very concealable.

That said, I prefer the Sig family. The P239 is much more concealable than their other pistols.

I carry virtually everything in Don Hume Leather. They are hard to beat for the money.
jeffhardee

Postby enfield » Fri May 19, 2006 8:28 am

My summer gun (and backup gun) is a NAA Guardian .380 in a back-pocket holster.

However, any time I can carry a bigger caliber, I do.
- enfield
enfield

favorite backup

Postby lotechredneck » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:10 am

My backup is a bulgarian makarov. :D
lotech redneck
lotechredneck

Postby The Rabbi » Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:34 pm

I'll second the small revolver. I personally use a Smith 432PD in 32H&R Magnum. I love that gun. I can shove it in my left pants pocket and hardly know it is there. If I need to, I can grip the gun without anyone knowing it. I can fire through the pocket if I had to. No safeties to change position, no mags to come loose.
A friend of mine had his Kel-Drek .32 go boom in his pocket, putting a hole in his leg and the floor. His hand was nowhere near the gun. Still trying to figure that one out.
"Every stink that fights the ventilator thinks its Don Quixote."
The Rabbi

Return to Self Defense - Guns & Gear