Suppressors in Tennessee...

A place to discuss what you carry, what you load it with and how you lug it around all day!

Moderators: David Lewis, tjbert47

Suppressors in Tennessee...

Postby Tangle » Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:35 pm

I'm pretty sure it is illegal in TN to use a class III weapon in/for self-defense. Does that also apply to suppressors?

Anybody know?

Thanks.
Things fail, plans fail, people fail; fear never fails; it must be defeated.
Tangle

Postby SomeGuy » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:36 pm

I never heard about it being illegal to use class 3 for self-defense.
J. E. F. II, MSN, RN.
SomeGuy

Postby Tangle » Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:20 pm

SomeGuy wrote:I never heard about it being illegal to use class 3 for self-defense.

Well I missed the meeting! (your signature line) I'll give it a try next month.
Things fail, plans fail, people fail; fear never fails; it must be defeated.
Tangle

Re: Suppressors in Tennessee...

Postby Fred762 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:17 pm

Owned and shot often a suppressed 9mm SMG, LEGAL of course, for years, then sold it legally about 6-7 yrs ago for a decent price. AFAIK there is nothing in TN stopping one from shooting his legally-owned suppressed weapon..the operative word being LEGALLY OWNED.
IMHO do NOT mess around with ersatz, "ho-made" silencers or suppressors..they are a nono!

Bite the bullet and pay the tax, so you can shoot it legally. The movies make it seem that a 'can' the size of a orange juice concentrate can is adequate..do not be fooled. A decent suppressor for a 9mm or .38 size round will be about 2" in diameter and a foot long or so. They are nice..mine would suppress the 9mm so much that it sounded like a pellet rifle and you could hear the rounds impact ..on semi-auto. It would be OK inside a house, but not particularly convenient, plus they tend to block the guns' sights when screwed on...if that bothers you. Made little difference in a SMG to me.
Fred762

Return to Self Defense - Guns & Gear