Letters to McCormick

Forum section for the discussion of pending Tennessee legislation and proposed legislation.

Moderator: C. Richard Archie

Letters to McCormick

Postby SomeGuy » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:30 pm

He is a local Rep for my area, though not mine. In the past he has talked the right thing, and typically voted appropriately, but has been sadly wrong recently. I encourage everyone to e-mail him and politely inquire where his loyalties now lie. This was my e-mail to him.

Rep. McCormick,

I saw a distressing quote attributed to you recently, that Republicans don't want to take up firearms bills in an election year. Given that pro-gun votes have never hurt Republicans, but standing in the way of gun owners certainly hurt Democrats, I would certainly appreciate knowing why the Republican leadership has decided to treat us no different than the way Naifeh treated gun owners in Tennessee.

Sincerely,

(SomeGuy)

See if he enjoys being equated to Naifeh.
J. E. F. II, MSN, RN.
SomeGuy

Re: Letters to McCormick

Postby benburke » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:01 am

He'll probably become defensive. Here was his reply to me four days ago:

Ben. I just got this email and the previous one so please forgive my tardy
response. Before I answer in detail I would ask you to clarify your remarks
about me in your email. Are you suggesting that I have done something
dishonest or unethical? Please let me know at your earliest convenience.
Thank you. Gerald
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

My email:

Dear Speaker Harwell and Representative McCormick,

Since I sent my original email to you, there was a news story in
Chattanooga's Times Free Press (and posted by John Harris on the TFA
Facebook page).

It's disgusting that our state legislators will bow down to the corporate
cash and forget what they are elected to do! They may as well carry a sign
that says, "Citizens have rights but we will sell them!"

I strongly urge you to vote FOR HB-3560. Please look at similar legislation
in other states. Don’t confuse property rights with a parking lot! When
you increase the places and the situations where citizens with handgun carry
permits can legally carry their guns, you increase the safety of every
citizen. How much is our safety worth to you? Is it worth $79,484 to
Speaker Harwell? Gerald, is the safety of Tennessee’s citizens worth
$65,100?

Sincerely,
benburke

Postby C. Richard Archie » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:04 am

Of the triad that is House Leadership of consequence, Harwell, Maggart, and McCormick (all knowing that Speaker Pro Tempore Judd Matheny has been ostracized from that group for his Conservative stances and staunch support of reassertion of Rights relative to self protection by the Citizen), perhaps Harwell and Maggart can, while be not excused, at least understood in their actions by being true to their never changed apparent denial of concern for, or, a tendency to support 2nd Amendment or firearms issues.

McCormick on the other hand, purports to be a 2nd Amendment supporter, chronicled below is his slow slide from Champion to detractor:

Evidenced by his statement July 13, 2011:

“This Task Force will study ways we can protect the Second Amendment rights of Tennesseans and will make recommendations to our Majority about good public policy we all can support,” said Majority Leader Gerald McCormick said in a statement announcing the move. “I think this is a worthwhile effort to streamline the process and build consensus within the General Assembly.”

From that attempt to chest thump and align with 2nd Amendment supporters to this recent pronouncement relative to the issue from Oct. 17, 2011:

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2011/oct/17/mccormick-house-gop-firearms-task-force-continue/?mobile

Majority Leader Gerald McCormick, R-Chattanooga, said he decided the group, which is looking at expansion of Tennessee’s handgun-carry permit laws, would go on after House Speaker Pro Tempore Judd Matheny, R-Tullahoma, who is the panel’s vice chair, voiced interest in taking over as chairman.

“I just decided to keep it going,” said McCormick, who weighed over the weekend whether to disband the panel in order to focus more on job-related issues. “I still say it’s not going to be a top legislative priority by any means.”

To this statement Jan. 18, 2012:

http://www.wsmv.com/story/16374305/lawmakers-prepare-to-tackle-controversial-issues

"I think our focus will not be on gun issues, it will be on economic development and jobs, job creation,"

Finally, his most recent rejoinder:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/765550657/GOP-cool-to-possibility-of-Rep-Bass-party-switch.html?s_cid=s10

Republican House Majority Leader Gerald McCormick of Chattanooga said he's heard that Bass has been mulling a party switch for the last two or three years, but said he is satisfied with potential GOP candidates considering a bid in House District 65.

"I'd rather he'd stay where he is, to tell the truth," McCormick said. "He's not doing himself any favors running that gun bill."

I leave it to the reader to decide...
"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." Samuel Adams

TFA/NRA Life Member
Chapter Leader, West TN Regional Chapter
C. Richard Archie

Postby SomeGuy » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:15 pm

Still no reply. A bit surprising, Gerald historically is a rapid responder. I guess I won't be having much respect for him anymore.
J. E. F. II, MSN, RN.
SomeGuy

Return to Legislation - STATE