Op out

List the park along with city or county in the title. If necessary, use multiple posts to list multiple parks if its not a city or county wide ban. Please provide backup support such as photos, letters, website links, news reports, etc. Please provide contact information when available.

Op out

Postby Justin » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:25 am

I thought the local cities had to op out before Sept. 1. The TFA email I received today, 8/28, mentioned three locations (Knoxville, 9/3, Tullahoma, 9/3, and Knox County 9/28) that would be having meetings in September. How can this be?
Greeneville, Tusculum and Greene County have had their meetings for August and the op out was not brought up; therefore, I thought we did not have to worry about missing a meeting.
Justin

Re: Op out

Postby macville » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:48 pm

Justin wrote:I thought the local cities had to op out before Sept. 1. The TFA email I received today, 8/28, mentioned three locations (Knoxville, 9/3, Tullahoma, 9/3, and Knox County 9/28) that would be having meetings in September. How can this be?
Greeneville, Tusculum and Greene County have had their meetings for August and the op out was not brought up; therefore, I thought we did not have to worry about missing a meeting.

Strange, the NRA-ILA email I got today had Knox County in the list of counties that had already oped-out. That is BIG news to me because I don't believe it's happened. Also, the meeting for the City of Knoxville on the 3rd is not a vote about bring down the grandfathered law, it's a community forum to express your views on the issue. The actual vote should be Sept 22d.

Matthew
macville

Postby David Lewis » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:18 pm

Justin wrote:I thought the local cities had to op out before Sept. 1. The TFA email I received today, 8/28, mentioned three locations (Knoxville, 9/3, Tullahoma, 9/3, and Knox County 9/28) that would be having meetings in September. How can this be?

The effective date of the law was set as 1 Sept to allow local governments time to act if they wished to opt out. If they have not taken specific action to opt out, then on 1 Sept, parks carry becomes legal.

While we may wish that opting out would be a moot point after 1 Sept, unfortunately, it is not. There is no time limit for any locality deciding to opt out...or conversely, for any locality that has opted out to reconsider, and opt back in.

David
David Lewis

Postby Tim Nunan » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:36 am

macville wrote:

Strange, the NRA-ILA email I got today had Knox County in the list of counties that had already oped-out. That is BIG news to me because I don't believe it's happened. Also, the meeting for the City of Knoxville on the 3rd is not a vote about bring down the grandfathered law, it's a community forum to express your views on the issue. The actual vote should be Sept 22d.

Matthew

Because Knoxville had a ban on park carry prior to 1986 that law was grandfathered and no current action is required by Knoxville to continue the park carry ban. What is currently before the council is a resolution to repeal the pre-1986 law.
Tim Nunan
TFA/NRA Lifemember
GOA member

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow
Tim Nunan

Postby macville » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:27 pm

Tim Nunan wrote:Because Knoxville had a ban on park carry prior to 1986 that law was grandfathered and no current action is required by Knoxville to continue the park carry ban. What is currently before the council is a resolution to repeal the pre-1986 law.

Yes, the CITY of Knoxville has a ban (a $50 fine) currently in parks. However, the county charter didn't happen until 1988, so any ban they have is not valid as of Sept 1st (if they even do have a ban at all.) It just surprises me that they would wait until Sept 28th to meet to vote about opting-out when the law goes into effect Tuesday. Don't get me wrong, but it seems a little odd that if you are going to consider it, you do it a month late...

Matthew
macville

Postby falcon1 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:02 pm

macville wrote:...but it seems a little odd that if you are going to consider it, you do it a month late...

Matthew

A charitable view might be that they are waiting a month to see if legal carry causes any problems. I know...I'm an optimist.
falcon1

Postby macville » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:22 pm

falcon1 wrote:
macville wrote:...but it seems a little odd that if you are going to consider it, you do it a month late...

Matthew

A charitable view might be that they are waiting a month to see if legal carry causes any problems. I know...I'm an optimist.

That's what I am hoping. If nothing happens before the Sept 28th meeting I will be bring up that exact point. However, considering I can't find any reports from parks inn 31 other states, I'm doubting anything will happen. The worst that will probably happen is some dumb person will report a person who is carrying legally.

Matthew
macville

Return to Local Parks